State of Michigan Associate Director in Lansing, Michigan
The State of Michigan is looking for a new associate director of the Research and Analytics division within the Bureau of Labor Market Information and Strategic Initiatives (LMISI). This individual will work at the forefront of evidence-based decision making and lead an exciting portfolio of initiatives, from developing new cross-department analytics projects to evaluating the effectiveness of workforce development programs. As the leader of the Research and Analytics team, the associate director will play a central role in conducting work that directly informs senior management in Michigan state government. The associate director will work closely with internal and external partners, developing analytics projects that turn data into actionable information to solve customer problems, and assisting partners in gaining a better understanding of public programs.
- Ensure all deliverables from interoffice agreements, memoranda of understanding, and grant agreements are completed and meet all operational and quality standards.
- Oversee the development and use of administrative and longitudinal data and consulting activity to support evidence-based decision making.
- Act as liaison with other state agencies, organizations, and employees to coordinate bureau research and analytics efforts.
- Champion and execute strategic objectives and initiatives in alignment with statewide, department, and bureau mission, vision, and values.
- Identify and pursue promising practices to continuously improve bureau operations and increase value to partners, customers, and residents.
- Provide coordination with, direction to, and evaluation of section managers and set the tone at the top for the division.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- An advanced degree in economics, statistics, public policy, political science, sociology, or another related field.
- A minimum of four years of relevant work experience.
- Experience conducting quantitative research on public programs using administrative data sources. Knowledge of machine learning and experience with RCTs are both desirable.
- Experience building and maintaining relationships with partners both inside and outside of the public sector.
- Ability to produce high-quality reports for a variety of audiences.
- Experience leading a team of analysts and managing multiple projects under a variety of constraints and timelines. Required Education and Experience
Possession of a bachelor's degree in any major.
Experience Two years of experience as a professional manager or program/staff specialist, or equivalent experience.
Alternate Education and Experience
Education level typically acquired through completion of high school and three years of safety and regulatory or law enforcement experience at the 14 level; or, two years of safety and regulatory or law enforcement experience at the 15 level, may be substituted for the education and experience requirements
Additional Requirements and Information
View the job specification at: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/StateDivisionAdministrator131327.pdf
View the position description here.
*Please submit a copy of your official college transcripts with your application. * Click here for the State of Michigan (SOM) definition of an Official College Transcript.
You must apply for this vacancy through the NEOGOV system; click on "Apply" in the job posting for instructions in submitting your electronic application. Hard copy applications will not be accepted.
You must attach a detailed resume to your application (word document). You will also need to_ attach (word document)_ a cover letter describing what strengths and work experience you bring to this position. Failure to do so will result in your application packet being screened out as incomplete.
Your application for any position does not guarantee that you will be contacted by the Department/Agency for further consideration. Only those applicants interviewed will be notified of the results.
The department reserves the right to close this posting prior to its original end date once a sufficient number of applications have been received.
Salary: $46.94 - $63.82 Hourly
Location: Lansing, MI
Job Type: Permanent Full Time
Department: Technology, Management and Budget
Job Number: 0701-21-17-02
Closing: 1/28/2021 11:59 PM Eastern
Bargaining Unit: NON-EXCLUSIVE REPRESENTED EMPLOYEE (NERE)
Agency: State of Michigan
Address: 400 South Pine Street Lansing, Michigan, 48909
Phone: (800) 788-1766 State of Michigan is an Equal Opportunity Employer