Mastronardi Products Summer 2021 Assistant Grower Intern in Coldwater, Michigan
Coldwater, MI, USA
Our Maroa Farms facility, a high-tech fresh produce greenhouse in Coldwater, Michigan, is currently seeking an Assistant Grower Internto join our team. The essential function of this position is to work with the growers and managers to learn about all areas and functions of the greenhouse.
- Shadow and work directly with the Head Grower, Assistant Grower, and Labor Manager.
- Participate in trial studies for new products and enter weight and other information into a tracking system.
- Discuss and implement climate strategies and adjustments.
- Measure daily basis of the EC, pH and drain numbers.
- Mixing fertilizers and measuring plants’ growth.
- Daily monitoring and scouting of pest and disease in the Greenhouse.
- Proper management and distribution of bios (live insects or mites) according with instructions of the Head Grower/Assistant Growers.
- Follow IPM protocols of pest and disease management.
- Be part of group walks with company technical advisors.
- Other duties and tasks as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Currently in an accredited college or university undergraduate program with a core focus in Greenhouse Operations, Agricultural, Biology or similar required.
- Must have a minimum 2.8 GPA.
- Previous experience working in a greenhouse or farm preferred.
- Must be high-performance team player and be willing to work in a dynamic, growing, demanding and fast-paced environment.
- Strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Professional oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and maintain attention to detail.
- Proficient in computer skills (Microsoft Office) and able to learn new systems
- Self-motivated, positive attitude, work independently and in team setting.
- Ability to take continuous direction.
- Position requires sitting, standing, walking and bending prolonged periods.
- Must have manual dexterity to perform computer skills and operate equipment.
- Ability to work at heights and be trained on a scissor lift.
- Capable of lifting at least 30lbs.
- Working in refrigerated as well as Non-Air-conditioned warehouse for prolonged periods.
- Greenhouse Environment, where the temperature averages 70°F and background noise approaches 70 dcbs.
We are pleased to offer the following Benefits:
- Paid weekly
- Employee Engagement & Recognition Programs
- Opportunities for growth and advancement
Mastronardi Produce has accommodation processes and policies in place and provides accommodation for employees with disabilities. If you require a specific accommodation because of a disability or documented medical need, please contact the Human Resource office so that arrangements can be made for the appropriate accommodation to be put in place.
Posted: December 11, 2020